While a number of private laboratories have testing facilities in the region, these are primarily located in cities typically excluded from safari itineraries.
COVID-19 testing is offered to guests at three of Tintswalo’s properties in South Africa: Tintswalo Safari Lodge, in the Manyeleti Private Game Reserve (which borders Kruger National Park); Tintswalo Atlantic in Cape Town; and Tintswalo at Boulders in Simon’s Town.
In Zambia, guests staying at Royal Chundu, along the Zambezi River and near the Victoria Falls, can have a PCR test done at the lodge and receive their results in 24 hours while at the lodge.
Old Drift Lodge in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, also offers guests an in-house COVID-19 PCR test, with results delivered within three hours.
Ampath, Pathcare and Lancet have a significant presence in South Africa, and there are also a few testing centres in the rest of Southern Africa.
- In Botswana, Lancet has a testing facility in Gaborone.
- In Mozambique, Ampath and Lancet both have testing facilities in Maputo.
- In Namibia, Pathcare has testing facilities in Windhoek as well as Lüderitz, Ongwediva, Otjiwarongo, Swakopmund, Tsumeb and Walvis Bay.
- In Swaziland, Ampath and Lancet each have a testing facility in Manzini, while Lancet also has testing facilities in Ezulwini, Ngwenya, Nhlangano and Mbabane.
- In Zambia, Lancet has a testing facility in Lusaka.
- In Zimbabwe, Lancet has laboratories in Bulawayo, Harare, Victoria Falls.
Botswana is closed except to returning nationals and permanent residents.